I have installed a new ethernet cable and for some reason it works just fine when connecting a laptop to it, but when plugging it into the switch at that end, no connection is established.
Tried with multiple switches and multiple laptops, but each time with the same result. The switches refuse to acknowledge that there is something at the other end of the cable.
Tried various Netgear switches and a Cisco SMB300 8 port with ecomode disable and enabled. All switches are 1Gbit.
The cable is the Ubiquity Level 2 Carrier with shielding. Benn using it all over the place and never had any problems. The length of this run is approx 88 meters.
I wish I had some tools to show noise in the cable, but sadly that is beyond my budget.
As a side note, the new cable was installed after an old unshielded cable started acting up. The connection drops out a couple of times in a 24 hour period and the comes back after an interval ranging from 5 minutes to 3 hours. I gave trying to diagnose that and just ran a new length of cable, but now I have problems with that as well.
EDIT:More details I changed the switch up stream from the Cisco to a small Netgear 8port Gigabit desktop switch and it was able to establish a link with the Cisco.
But they only establish a 10Mbit link. I have tried disabling all the energy saving features on the Cisco, but with no change. I also tried setting the link speed manually which caused it to drop the link.
The Cisco switch has the capability to do a Copper Test, but for this particular cable it just grays out the button and write
N/A on all the result fields. Neither is it able to tell me how long the cable is.
The funny thing is that is has established a link to another switch down stream over a 80 meter unshielded cable that is operating at full 1000Mbit.
I am running out of ideas.