I have been looking into this lately to find no available solution for Azure-to-Azure disaster recovery solution that is native. Do you people think that it is completely fair to trust the Azure cloud to take care of the risks that a disaster brings in? Does it even make sense to setup a replication inside the Azure environment for Azure VMs? If so what are the available options and any direction is appreciated!
Coming from a fully managed solution, I think Azure is not giving us more options here for an IaaS environment setup.
My Research so far on this
Azure Site Recovery:
Only the following scenarios are supported. Not Azure-to-Azure.
- Azure-Hyper-V site
- Azure-VMM server
- Azure-Physical Windows server
- Azure-VMware virtual machine
- Secondary datacenter-VMM server
- Secondary datacenter-VMM server with SAN
- Secondary datacenter-Single VMM server
- Available only for HA Application server VMs.
- The only promise is "Data is durable". The end user is responsible for reconnection.
- Encrypted backups.
- Not possible to failover by setting up a redundant infrastructure.
- Not an ideal solution for an IaaS failover.