Failed Dell PowerEdge T410: Move Hardware RAID PERC H700: 3 x 300GB SAS (1 faulty) to 2nd T410 for Disk Cloning & Boot
FYI - PRE QUESTION CONTEXT:
- We barely got the original T410 up once where it was flagging CMOS battery errors, which we changed twice.
- Then figured we might as well come back to this T410 later and move the Data & OS off it.
- Dell T410 + Hardware RAID PERC H700 Controller - 6 slots/ bays
- 3 x 300 GB SAS Drives (Slot 0 1 2 on H700) configured in RAID 5 as a
557 GB "Virtual Disk" Volume (having 2 partitions C & D)
- Dell OMSA Tool tests & diagnoses reports Drive 3 SMART issues
- Lack of easily available SAS Hardware
- 1 x 1 TB SATA Drive (Slot 4 on H700) set up as RAID 0 to backup/ clone
Objectives & Scenario
Our goal at the moment is to get this up and running on other T410 Box.
Our concern is how do we ensure that this runs without glitch till the point we can recover or clone it off from this RAID.
With a software RAID things are simpler and we are not sure how/ what settings / configuration of RAID is kept inside the H700, if at all.
Then recover/ clone this volume with few partitions etc. and figure out another way to go forward.
Thoughts/ steps and what we should do/ not do would be good to get inputs on
Ensure the cloned 1 x 1 TB Bootable
Something similar: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/956/t/19497545
- Boot order on Motherboard vs RAID Startup
- RAID H700 Changes?
- Any fixes on the 1 TB SATA?
PS: We are serving a small Asian SMB NGO so are limited on resources.