Estimated machine specifications: Dual X5550 Xeon Processor, 2.66GHz 8M Cache, hyper threading (Core i7 architecture Xeon), 24GB 1333MHz ram,8x143gb 10K RPM SAS drives in hardware raid6 array with 512mb controller memory.
Roles this server must have:
- Web server IIS 7, Production Instance
- Sql Server 2008, Production Instance
- Exchange 2007
Roles very highly desired to have:
- Web Server IIS 7, Staging Instance
- Sql Server 2008, Staging Instance + Team Foundation Server Data Tier
- Team Foundation Server Application Tier
Roles that would be nice to have:
- Backup Domain Controller
Initial idea for how to allocate the VMs:
- Web Server Production
- Sql Server Production
- Exchange Server
- Web/Sql Staging + Team Foundation server
- Backup DC
This box would most likely be hosted at a colocation datacenter with a 100mbps connection. Now to my specific questions:
- Is this machine powerful enough to run all of these roles?
- How would the server resources be optimally allocated for these roles? Is my initial idea on how to allocate VMs for the roles the right approach?
- What kind of implications are there to a domain that places a backup DC in the cloud?
- If the primary DC fails over to the backup DC on this box will there be any noticeable performance degradation to the company network that is on a Comcast 50mbps/10mbps connection for an external DC?
Edit: Organization information, about 35 employees / email boxes. Our website is for the 35 employees + 20,000 users. For usage, web site usually only has a few hundred hits per day so on average usage is always low. Email usage would probably be slightly on the larger side from with mailing alot of documents around.
Currently all of our hosting is done with shared space and a shared database server so I don't have an exact idea of usage quotas but it obviously can't be too large that we never have issues for the $20/month our hosting costs.