Recently, I performed a dist-upgrade from Debian Wheezy to Jessie. The upgrade was performed without any error but after the upgrade the swap partition was no longer mounted/activated. The mentioned system is a KVM (qemu-kvm, centos7).
During the start up of the system, systemd tries to mount the swap partition but fails due to timeout with the message "Dependency failed for..."
What I tried so far:
- performing "swapon /dev/sda2" manually works without any problem
- recreated the swap partition with "mkswap /dev/sda2"
- double check fstab entry and used UUID
- removed the fstab entry so that systemd detects it automatically
- different option parameter (fstab)
- asked the german debian community -but no helpful response: https://debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=159902&p=1084179#p1084179
- manually mounting with systemd (systemctl start dev-disk...) fails with the same error but after perfoming "swapon" and "swapoff" it works.
What I found so far:
- actually, there is a closed ticket which describes my problem very well : https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=764539 -however, the problem was due to a custom kernel (missing options) -and I do not use any custom kernel so the mentioned options are enabled
- there is a serverfault thread where a user describes a similiar problem but had an other system and setup -and without any response: Swap partition not mounted on boot
journalctl -r | grep "dev-disk"
Mar 07 22:31:37 hostname systemd: Dependency failed for /dev/disk/by-uuid/062c87ce-135e-45fc-b430-7336a9ab164a. Mar 07 22:31:37 hostname systemd: Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2duuid-062c87ce\x2d135e\x2d45fc\x2db430\x2d7336a9ab164a.device. Mar 07 22:31:37 hostname systemd: Job dev-disk-by\x2duuid-062c87ce\x2d135e\x2d45fc\x2db430\x2d7336a9ab164a.device/start timed out.
UUID=5443f0ed-f437-4804-8fa0-45a039413b9a / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1 UUID=062c87ce-135e-45fc-b430-7336a9ab164a none swap sw 0 0
Linux hostname 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u4 (2016-02-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux
/dev/sda1: UUID="5443f0ed-f437-4804-8fa0-45a039413b9a" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="0006f6b9-01" /dev/sda2: UUID="062c87ce-135e-45fc-b430-7336a9ab164a" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="0006f6b9-02"
parted /dev/sda - print
(parted) print Model: ATA QEMU HARDDISK (scsi) Disk /dev/sda: 10.7GB Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B Partition Table: msdos Disk Flags: Number Start End Size Type File system Flags 1 1049kB 10.2GB 10.2GB primary ext4 boot 2 10.2GB 10.7GB 491MB primary linux-swap(v1)
dpkg -l systemd
ii systemd 215-17+deb8u3 amd64 system and service manager
ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 24 23:01 062c87ce-135e-45fc-b430-7336a9ab164a -> ../../sda2 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 20 18:44 5443f0ed-f437-4804-8fa0-45a039413b9a -> ../../sda1