Note, this has been also posted in http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.haproxy/27737
we are trying to configure this architecture:
- ELB terminating SSL, using preconfigured certificates. (this is a requirement because so only restricted people has access to the end user certs)
- ELB connects to HAproxy backend using SSL (also requirement)
ELB sends proxy headers as described in http://amzn.to/1YajEG3
HAproxy listens SSL in 443
- HAProxy is used for doing some HTTP transformations (modify header, etc).
Once ELB is configured as SSL+Proxy protocol, we tried to configure HAProxy by adding accept-proxy in the bind of the HTTPS frontend:
frontend https-in mode http # Note, I truncated this line because the maillist 80 chars limitations bind :443 accept-proxy ssl crt \ /var/vcap/jobs/haproxy/config/cert.pem \ no-sslv3 ciphers ... ...
But it fails:
Received something which does not look like a PROXY
Troubleshooting I found that ELB sends the PROXY header INSIDE of the SSL stream. For instance, I run openssl as a server:
$ openssl s_server -accept 443 -cert cert.pem ... ACCEPT bad gethostbyaddr -----BEGIN SSL SESSION PARAMETERS----- MFUCAQECAgMDBAIAnwQABDBsAWD78V/tz9KhYw4R/kpL5YPBxfF1qcmzxlclNDuz 0KWw9aGojVogjtBkH/zZOLWhBgIEVyoquqIEAgIBLKQGBAQBAAAA -----END SSL SESSION PARAMETERS----- Shared ciphers:... CIPHER is DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 Secure Renegotiation IS supported PROXY TCP4 18.104.22.168 192.168.6.14 39220 443 GET / HTTP/1.1 User-Agent: curl/7.35.0 Host: something.com Accept: */*
So I did a "chained" config in haproxy, one to do the SSL termination with pure TCP and the other to "extract" the proxy-protocol and do the HTTP transformations:
listen https-in mode tcp bind :443 ssl crt /var/vcap/jobs/haproxy/config/cert.pem no-sslv3 ciphers ... server http 127.0.0.1:8081 frontend http-in-from-ssl mode http bind :8081 accept-proxy option httplog option forwardfor reqadd X-Forwarded-Proto:\ https default_backend http-routers
And that works!!!
So my questions are:
- Is this normal and expected? I cannot find any information about that.
- Is it possible to change the ELB behaviour to put the proxy-protocol header OUTSIDE of the SSL stream? I did not find any info about that.
- If not. Is it possible to change the behaviour of HAProxy to use one frontend but read the proxy-protocol header from inside the SSL stream?
- If not, is there a better way to 'chain' the config as I did above.