I am in the following situation :the IT department asked for a wire of type FTP. The company that is cabling the building is using F/UTP. Is it FTP? Or they need another type of cable kind of F/FTP??


I normally would associate FTP with the File Transfer Protocol :)

But from: belden.com/blog

An overall foil shield (F) with unscreened twisted pairs (UTP). This cable is very much like common UTP cables, with the addition of foil underneath the main cable jacket. Another common name for this cable is FTP. F/UTP cables are common in 10GBaseT applications.

But to keep the confusion, there are also several variaties of Foil screened Twisted Pairs where (also) the individual pairs are shielded:

No overall shielding or braid (U) with foil screened twisted pairs (FTP). This type of shielded cable is commonly used in 10GBaseT applications as well.

An overall braid screen (S) with foil screened twisted pairs (FTP). The “shield” underneath the jacket is a braid, and each individual pair is surrounded by its own foil barrier. The purpose of the additional foil on individual pairs is to limit the amount of crosstalk between them.

An overall foil shield (F) with foil screened twisted pairs (FTP).

So to answer your question, yes, F/UTP is a type FTP and there are others, all suitable for 10GBaseT.


  • Is SF/FTP better than F/FTP? – Unknown123 Apr 27 at 6:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy