We have an isolated network used for test and development with its own Exchange server. We've been using Windows 7 for years and have used Outlook 2007, 2010, 2012, and 2013 (which is currently being used). Exchange Server is 2013. Outlook 2013 works great in Windows 7, but we want to upgrade our development machines to Windows 10 and can't get Outlook 2013 to work. No matter what we try, we get the following error when attempting to set up an Outlook profile:
The action cannot be completed. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.
Everything works great in Windows 7, the problem only exists on our Windows 10 workstations (haven't tried 8 or 8.1). OWA works fine, as does the built-in Windows Mail app (which uses Exchange ActiveSync). Have tried the following with no love:
- Connected the Windows 10 workstation to the Internet and installed all available updates.
- Installed Exchange 2013 CU 12
- Installed the self-signed Exchange server certificate into the workstation's Trusted Root Certificates store
- Tried specifying the domain controller's FQDN in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Exchange Provider "DS Server" value.
- Verified proxy settings in Internet Options are set to automatically detect settings
- Copied the profile stored in the Registry's HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Profiles\Outlook key from a working Windows 7 machine to a Windows 10 machine
- Turned off firewalls on both the Exchange server and the client machine (Windows 7 boxes work fine with the firewall on)
Outlook Anywhere is configured on the Exchange server, the authentication method is set to Negotiate. I'm thinking that AutoDiscover is working because the "Add Account" dialog window reports that it can establish a network connection successfully and it seems to find the correct settings for the Microsoft Exchange dialog (the Microsoft Exchange server box shows the correct GUID for my mailbox). Again, everything works fine on our Windows 7 boxes, but we're consistently having trouble with Windows 10.
Edit: Including entries from IIS and RPC Client Access logs below.
The Windows 10 client's IP is 10.0.0.37 (IPv6 is turned off, something we do as a standard practice on our client boxes). My user name is davidsond and our domain name is MONSTERGARAGE. (I don't mind putting these details up here because this is a completely isolated test and development network with no connectivity to the Internet.)
I see entries in the Default Web Site IIS log like this:
POST /Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml ...; 443 - 10.0.0.37 Microsoft+Office/15.0+(Windows+NT+10.0;+Microsoft+Outlook+15.0.4815;+Pro) - 401 0 0 15
POST /Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml ...; 443 - MONSTERGARAGE\davidsond 10.0.0.37 Microsoft+Office/15.0+(Windows+NT+10.0;+Microsoft+Outlook+15.0.4815;+Pro) - 200 0 0 31
These seem to correspond to entries in the Exchange Back End IIS logs that look like this:
POST /Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml - 444 MONSTERGARAGE\davidsond fe80::cc5b:87c5:6d04:ad7%12 Microsoft+Office/15.0+(Windows+NT+10.0;+Microsoft+Outlook+15.0.4815;+Pro) - 200 0 0 45
That IPv6 IP is our Exchange server.
The RPC Client Access log contains entries for our working Windows 7 boxes like this one:
2016-05-19T01:53:06.879Z,5,0,/o=C2LA/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=koopm,OUTLOOK.EXE,14.0.6025.1000,Cached,10.0.0.45,,fe80::cc5b:87c5:6d04:ad%12,ncacn_http...
After sifting through these and then searching for any reference to davidsond or 10.0.0.37, I realized the RPC Client Access Log had no entries whatsoever for my Windows 10 box. It seems that RPC traffic isn't reaching the Exchange server, and one of my theories is that some security setting on the Windows 10 box is preventing RPC over HTTP. I've turned off the firewall and looked in the Windows 10 Privacy settings, but didn't readily see anything I could link to RPC or Outlook.