Good evening, I have searched on DELL Poweredge manual and haven't found answers to my problem, I had bought a few months ago a Dell DRAC5 card to finally power on and off my Poweredge 1950 server when I not need it to work on.
Until today everything ok and Drac works fine but today I had to install more ram on the server so I unplugged the two power cords and I was scary touching the surface of the metal panel, is so hot that I can cook some eggs on it.
I'm afraid I do something wrong maybe in Drac setup but I seen that when I fire the power-off command through Drac the Server doesn't shutdown completely, let me explain better:
- I push power-off button from Drac
- The server shutdown the OS and the Hardware
- On the Fron the LCD keep displaying Poweredge name
- On back the two Power Supply keeps ON (I see green light on the back of the server)
- LAN NIC 1 remains active (green light)
- Drac NIC remain active of course
Now if I touch the front of the server is cold, in the middle is quite hot, and in the back near to the PSU is impossible to keep my hand on, is terribly hot over and bottom.
Is this normal? I have this server at home in an open rack without any cooling units since would cost me the bill too much.