We have a client who currently has a server running on old hardware.
They want to move this server to another machine and virtualize it to make it more portable in the future (AFAIK, they use a non-mainstream server OS). However, their current setup has 4 video outputs, which they make full use of. They want to maintain the quad-monitor setup on the new hardware.
I've been tasked with figuring out how to do this. After some research, here is the (vague) shopping list I've come up with:
- Server motherboard supporting an IOMMU, such as Intel VT-d.
- 64 bit server CPU, also with VT-d support.
- Type 1 hypervisor, such as ESXi, as a native OS.
- GPU with PCI-Passthrough capabilities (I've been told that practically any AMD card would meet this criteria).
- USB controller with PCI-Passthrough capabilities.
Am I on the right track? Is my assumption about AMD video cards correct? Is there anything else important that I haven't yet considered?