Due to the nature of our application we can't run and test it on virtualization.
I would like to have the ability to revert to a previous clean state and (if possible) have some kind of snapshoting (only of disk not RAM ofc).
The following options were considered:
- Add one server running FreeNAS with all the SSDs from the current machines, provide iSCSI volumes backed by ZFS and PXE boot all the machines from there. seems to be plausible but not an easy thing to setup.
- Use CloneZilla and do parition to parition backups/restore (each server will have one partition for windows and one for backups), this doesn't give me real snapshots, is not easy to do each time (boot to clonezilla, select option to backup, add details, etc.) and is not incrementl/differential and hence slow and allows for a limited number of backups.
- System restore - does it backup all the disk?
- It needs to work with windows partitions
- Needs to be fast (if not clonezilla is an option)
- It can work with requiring a reboot
- Doesn't have to snapshot the memory (although that will be really cool)
Is there a better option?