Running in to an issue at a new location with promoting a new domain controller. We will call the new server "newserv".
Error is - "An Active Directory domain controller for the domain "mydomain" could not be contacted." -
- newserv can ping domain controllers by FQDN (ie DC1.mydomain)
- newserv cannot ping domain controller without .mydomain
- NSLOOKUP on newserv shows default server as PDC.mydomain
- NSLOOKUP set type=all --> _ldap.tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain shows all SRV service locations, with correct ip addresses.
- newserv has static ip, primary and secondary DNS pointing to DC1.mydomain & DC2.mydomain
- If I just try to join the domain, the error details state the SRV record query shows all of my domain controllers, however they could not be contacted.
Some things i've tried, other notes;
- I've tried setting primary DNS to point to itself.
- I've tried adding DNS suffix "mydomain" under advanced DNS settings.
- newserv can join different domain no issue.
My domain does not have a suffix. It is just "mydomain" - I've run in to issues with this with joining MAC OS to the domain in the past.
Server is a Virtual Machine running in HyperV which is joined to a different domain.
I'm imagining this might be some kind of DNS issue, but I don't know where to start in addressing it.
Any help greatly appreciated.