I'm having a problem with Temporary Internet Files (Specifically wsusscn.cab files) filling up the local drive in the following location "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5".

This location is not controlled through the Logged on user's IE session as Temp Internet Files for the logged on user exist in "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files" so running a delete from the Browsing history section doesn't make a difference.

Space can be restricted from this section too so have some level of control be it manually or through GPO but how do I control the systemprofile location?

I'm thinking this will be more a Computer Configuration setting through GPO rather than User Configuration as would normally be the case for controlling user settings seeing as this is the system profile so possibly a setting under "Computer Config > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Control Panel > General Page > Browsing History"?



Ok, looks like this is to do with MSBA as is the tool which creates wsusscn2.cab by the looks of it.


First you must have an up to date catalog file of all the updates that are available via microsoft update. Obviously you need to get to a PC with an internet connection to obtain this. The file that contains the update information is called wsusscn2.cab. This is always changing as new updates are released... but you can always download the latest copy by going to this link

This explains the file but not why there's hundreds of them in this location and why they're there when I've not downloaded them manually!? I am running an old version of MSBA on this server (v2.0) so am going to upgrade this to the latest version (v2.3) to see if this fixes the issue.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.