I know it's a common question but I need to ask anyway, just to clarify: How many cores should I assign to my kvm clients?
The host machine has 1 CPU with 8 cores. How many cores should I give the clients if..
- I have only one client
- I have two clients with equal load
- I have two clients with unequal load
- I have 8 clients
- I have more than 8 clients
My clients mostly run MongoDB+NodeJS, I think multithreading would be an advantage or not? The host cpu is from Intel, I have the hyperthreading (virtual) cores as well..
I'm happy for any experiences and advices, most of the threads concerning this questions end with "use 1 core per client" - but variation 1-3 would end with cores not used at all - or am I wrong
EDIT: I think I need to focus the question more:
- Is it a bad idea, to have more cores assigned to clients than the actual host has?
- Does more cores for a virtual machine mean more power?
- Needs the thread-change / (core change??) for a virtual machine more performance than running it as a single core?
This is not ressource planning - I'm grateful for some kvm advices here as I don't understand the affects in some situations.