I have a WSUS server running on Server 2012 R2, update services 3.2.7600.226. From Server Manager, I see that WSUS has an error, and specifically when I open the errors I see "The DSS Authentication Web Service is not working" and the same thing for SimpleAuth, Client Web, API Remoting, and Reporting Web. I do have SSL enabled, the server is configured to use port 8531.
I can connect to the server through the local WSUS console, but I see 0 updates, 0 computers, etc.
Oddly enough though...I have an SCCM server which also has WSUS installed (and is a downstream WSUS server). It's a Server 2016 instance, and is using update services 10.0.14393.0. Not only can I see the first server fully after adding it to the console, I see clients and updates from it. My actual clients are successfully checking for updates from the original server; I have 243 clients checked in and happy.
Everything appears to be working with the exception of managing the WSUS server from itself.
What gives? I'm totally stumped as to what the issue could be. Does it have something to do with the server not being able trust the cert locally? Is it an update services thing...seems odd that another system can see everything but the host itself can't.
In IIS (6.1) on the WSUS server, under the WSUS admin site, I have the following:
- ApiRemoting30, bound to 443, 8530, 8531, requiring SSL.
- ClientWebService, bound to 443, 8530, 8531, requiring SSL.
- DssAuthWebService, bound to 443, 8530, 8531, requiring SSL.
- Inventory, bound to 443, 8530, 8531, NOT requiring SSL.
- ReportingWebService, bound to 443, 8530, 8531, NOT requiring SSL.
- ServerSyncWebService, bound to 443, 8530, 8531, requiring SSL.
- SimpleAuthWebService, bound to 443, 8530, 8531, requiring SSL.
The SSL cert is a requested cert from our root CA, which totally checks out. Totally valid when browsed with IE.
I followed this guide: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb633246.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396