Running Windows 2012 R2 Round Round enabled for my DNS zone (AD integrated)
Im either not understanding this or its not working.
I want to use round robin dns to resolve to a cluster of servers.
First I tried creating a new sub domain and cname records
- I had a subdomain of "mycluster" and a cname pointing to "." (blank name) for each server
- I could ping mycluster.mydom.com and get back an ip of one of the servers
- But on consecutive pings it replied with the same server
- Even after I flushed DNS it replied with the same server's IP
Then I tried creating a new sub domain and A records
- So I had the same thing but instead I had A records with a blank name resolving to the domain
- This time I got back IPs from the same server like before
- But when I flushed dns on my computer I got back a different address (every time I flushed DNS I got a different one)
Are cname not supported for round robin in windows DNS?
Also does this mean that applications need to be written to support round robin? Like an application would have to not cache the resolved name in order to properly load balance