I am working towards my first capture of a Linux Azure VM using the capture tool.
The first step is to run
sudo waagent –deprovision. Running this command does the following:
- Removes SSH host keys (if Provisioning.RegenerateSshHostKeyPair is 'y' in the configuration file)
Does this mean that my private/public keys will be gone and my existing server will no longer be able to SSH into it's peers without copying these keys back in place?
- Clears nameserver configuration in /etc/resolv.conf
I believe my custom defined DNS names will have to be put back in place as well.
- Removes the root user's password from /etc/shadow (if Provisioning.DeleteRootPassword is 'y' in the configuration file)
Not familiar with
/etc/shadow. Will I no longer have SSH access to my server?
- Removes cached DHCP client leases
I'm assuming this is harmless.
- Resets host name to localhost.localdomain
I believe this is only an issue if a custom hostname was setup.
- Deletes the last provisioned user account (obtained from /var/lib/waagent) and associated data
Is this an account being provisioned by the capture tool itself or by me? If latter, why so?