Firstly, I am very new to storage and RAID setups so forgive my basic understanding of this.
I have a Dell PowerEdge R720 running Windows 2008 R2 Server with three physical HDDs and no RAID setup,
diskpart displays this.
Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 136 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 1843 GB 0 B Disk 2 Online 18 GB 0 B
- Disk 0 is the system disk
- Disk 1 is a shared drive (with Hyper-V and three virtual disks)
- Disk 2 is empty
The server is rapidly running out of space, so I purchased six new 1TB HDDs which I have physically installed. Although they don't appear in 'My Computer' - presumable I need to 'activate' them?
Dell OSMA physical and virtual discs displays this.
I'd like to assign the extra 6TB to Disk 1 - the data on this disk is referenced from various network locations so it's important that the file structure remains intact.
My question is what's the best way to approach this? My (basic) understanding of the process is as follows;
- backup the whole system to an external drive
- create a RAID5 array on the 9 disks
- restore the backup
One of the six new 1TB HDDs can act as a hotswap disk.
I've been using this tutorial as a reference.
- Is there a recommended method of backing up and restoring the existing data?
- Is there anything I should be aware of?
- Disk 0 contains the OS, so I don't amend this at all?
I understand creating the RAID will erase all the data, however I don't have the resources to test the backup before creating the RAID.
Any advice is appreciated.