What version of virtual Machines are you running?
VMs running versions only supported by server 2016 cannot run on server 2012R2. to check your version:
- On the Windows desktop, click the Start button and type any part of the name Windows PowerShell.
- Right-click Windows PowerShell and select Run as Administrator.
- Use the Get-VM cmdlet. Run the following command to get the versions of your virtual machines.
Get-VM * | Format-Table Name, Version
You can also see the configuration version in Hyper-V Manager by selecting the virtual machine and looking at the Summary tab.
The following table shows which virtual machine configuration versions are supported by Hyper-V hosts that run on specific versions of Windows operating systems.
- Windows Server 2016 8.0, 7.1, 7.0, 6.2, 5.0
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update 8.0, 7.1, 7.0, 6.2, 5.0
- Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 7.1, 7.0, 6.2, 5.0
- Windows 10 build 10565 or later 7.0, 6.2, 5.0
- Windows 10 builds earlier than 10565 6.2, 5.0
- Windows Server 2012 R2 5.0
- Windows 8.1 5.0