I need to Physical to Virtual our Remote Desktop Server (Server 2008 R2), install the HyperV role on the Physical server and then eventually have the converted RD VM back running on the Physical Server.
I have read numerous threads on similar topics where certain people suggest that at least one of these should be a fresh install to avoid any issues down the line with regards to duplicated SID/GUIDs etc, and others suggesting it should be fine if one is SYSPREP’D (the Microsoft SYSPREP documentation also says RD is supported). However, I want to exhaust all avenues before doing a complete reinstallation/rebuild of either the Physical or the VM as there’s a couple of other applications I want to keep running on both and avoid any reinstallation/configuration. I would also like to run the P2V VM on another HyperV host before changing any/or minimum configuration of the current Physical to ensure the VM is fine and all services will work.
In regards to the current Physical server it is the gateway and has the RD licensing manager installed with licenses configured on it along with the remote apps.
I intend to SYSPREP the VM before configuring the Network Adapter. If I want to avoid any changes to the current Physical then I assume I am going to have to change the Server name and IP of the VM and then add/change any internal DNS and firewall rules to point to the new IP temporarily.
The questions however are:
- Will everything function within the VM including the licensing after the conversion and SYSPREP, or what configuration is going to be required? i.e. will the licenses need setting up again?
- Is there any additional configuration required for a RD server if the name of the server is changed?
The following is a breakdown of what I was hoping would be successful:
- P2V the Physical Server using sys internals disk2vhd.
- Move the VHD to another HyperV host in our environment.
- Configure a new VM on the HyperV host and attach the VM, do not configure Network adapter.
- Boot VM and SYSPREP
- Configure NIC, assign IP, rename Server
- Setup A record for internal DNS and point current inbound RD Firewall rule to new IP of VM.
- Once confirmed working, install HyperV Role on Physical server.
- Move VM back to the Physical Server.
Is there anything I have overlooked or potential pitfalls?
Thanks in advanced