What I want to do is the following: A user from Company X is no longer working there. So, the account can be deleted, but the e-mail should stay accessible for colleagues for a while. I want to convert the mailbox to a shared mailbox.
But, local AD is synced to Azure AD with AD connect. How to convert this users mailbox to a shared (non-synced) one? We do not have Exchange on-premises.
I guess I should do this, but I am not sure:
- Use Exchange admin panel to convert user to a shared mailbox.
- Assign permissions to access the shared mailbox.
- Remove Office365 license.
- Delete user from local AD
- Wait for AD connect to do a sync
Please confirm this would work. I do not want to risk that the shared mailbox get's deleted because I removed the user from local AD
EDIT: Just tried the following:
- Deleted user from local AD
- Forced sync with AD connect
- Go to Office admin panel > deleted users
- Recover the user. I now see it as "cloud" account.
- When user is recovered, use "convert to shared mailbox".
- Remove licenses from user.
- It now is a shared mailbox, not using licensed, and not synced from local AD. Just what we wanted.
- HOWEVER: As soon as AD connect runs it sync again, the restored user (which is a shared mailbox now) is deleted again.
How to prevent this?