How can I have multiple IP addresses assigned to a single NIC? I remember doing this on Unix way back when. Can it be done on Windows?
Yes, it can be done in Windows:
- Go to the Control Panel > Network Connections
- Right click on the Local Area Connection (or whichever network connection you want to add the 2nd IP Address) and click Properties
- Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the connection box and click properties
- Enter the first IP address in the properties box
- Click Advanced
- Click Add under the IP Addresses box and enter the information for the 2nd IP Address
- Close all the boxes
Yes, it can be done.
On XP it was just a case of going into the "advanced" settings in the TCP/IP settings for the network.
I don't have Vista or any of the "server' variants of Windows to check against, but I'd be amazed if it wasn't possible.