I've recently attempted to upgrade a Dell PowerEdge 815 with more RAM and a 3rd/4th Processor.
The original (working) configuration was:
- 2 X AMD Opteron 6220 (8-core) Processors
- 16 X 2GB RDIMMs
- (Added) 2 X AMD Opteron 6220 (8-core) Processors and Heatsinks
- (All New) 32 X 4GB RDIMMs
After the upgrade the unit does not produce video output, the front-panel LCD report "System Rebooting...". There are not POST error audible tones, the drives appear to spin-up as usual, and no apparent network connectivity.
I've tried various trouble shooting steps:
- 4 Processors/32 RDIMMs (Result: no video, no network connectivity)
- 2 Original Processors/16 New DIMMs (Result: Works like before)
- 2 New Processors/16 New DIMMs (Result: Works like before)
This tells me the new processors are fine, and the new RAM is fine. I'm otherwise stumped. I've done all the appropriate googling, with no luck.