I have installed SQL server 2016 on windows 10. The install process completed successfully except for the final step, which was a restart. Prior to this I had tried a couple of times and the process did not seem to get as far.
I manually restarted the computer and opened SSMS. In the object explorer windows I clicked "Connect object explorer"->"Server name" drop down->"Browse for more"->local servers. But no instances showed.
I opened services and saw this
I tried starting each one but got the message
Windows could not start SQL server (SQLSERVEREXPRESS) service on local computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly
What have i tried???
- reviewed and tried the action suggested here but it points to an 8 year old post referencing .net 1,2 and 3
- and here which has some stuff that I tried, detailed below
- looked for something in the event viewer but MSSQLSERVER doesnt show in the event viewer
- looked for an error log file here
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.SQLEXPRESSbut couldn't find one
- followed advice from this youtube video (but I could not find the regedit entry he was referring to)
- I noticed sql server browser wasn't running so I started that and then tried to run SQL server, this had the exact same error and imminently stopped sql server browser running.
My system is a home computer and a fresh install of windows 10
Please help i'm out of ideas (I'd also be interested in how to get rid of those extra instances of SQL server I can see running in services)
This log file snippet was pulled from:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130
however there is also a
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80
but 130 is the only one that contains \setup bootstrap\log (So I assume this is correct). Its a big file. I believe the below line may be of interest
(01) 2017-09-26 21:59:34 Slp: Error: Action "SqlEngineConfigAction_install_confignonrc_Cpu64" failed during execution.