I'm having some trouble setting up a Child Active Directory Domain.
I started by installing Windows Server 2012 R2 we will call
NICK1 and installed Active Directory Domain Services on this server as domain
nicholas.com. I also configured this server as the DNS server.
Now I want to add a child domain
Here are the steps I performed to create the child domain.
Install another copy of Windows Server 2012 R2 we will call
NICK2. Configure this server to be a child domain of
nicholas.comby doing the following:
Configure the Network Connection to use
NICK1's DNS server.
- (View Network Connections -> Click on your Ethernet NIC -> Properties -> Double Click your IPv4 protocol in the list -> Click “Use the following DNS Server Address” and set it to the DNS server’s IP address.)
nicholas.comdomain: Go to “View your PC name” and click “Join a domain”
Type the fully qualified domain name of the root active directory domain and join it. Authenticate using the root domain’s admin username/password.
Restart when prompted.
When you log back in, use the administrator/password from the root domain controller.
Install the Active Directory services. (Go to Server Manager -> Add roles or features -> Next -> Next-> Next -> Choose Active Directory Domain Services -> Add features -> Next -> Next -> Next -> Install. Wait for the Active Directory Domain Services to install.)
Promote to a domain controller and configure as a sub domain:
- Go to server manager and Click on the yellow flag
- Promote this server to a domain controller.
- Select Add domain to existing forest (The FQDN of the root domain should appear automatically in Parent domain name)
- Enter the new child domain name
- Enter login credentials for
- The defaults for the rest. Install.
This process completes fine and I'm able to log in to the domain controller as the new
But when I create a new AD user in
sub.nicholas.com, I cannot log in as that user.
I also cannot log in as any
sub.nicholas.com users in any other services that work with
nicholas.com. For example...
firstname.lastname@example.org is able to use sharepoint, but
Does anyone know what steps I'm missing to make the
sub.nicholas.com domain usable? My main goal is to be able to use SharePoint as a
nicholas.com user or a