What I'm trying to do: I have a software that multiple users are supposed to use on one system. Because a standard installation of WinServer2016 can only hold a maximum of two users at once I googled and was told that a Terminal Server / RDS Server would remove this limitation so I tried that with the help of some tutorials.
All of this is happening in Azure.
The problem: I thought I had everything set up correctly but when I try to RDP into the machine with the third user it tells me that there's too many users and that I need to disconnect one of them to continue (as it would be if I had done nothing at all).
What I did so far :
Installed a DC for my Terminal Server and let the Terminal Server join the Domain (set up the DC as DNS Server in the VNET, not in the TCP/IP Adapter settings)
In Server Manager I started the Role and Features Menu, and chose install RDS, Quickstart, Session-Based, selected the Terminal Server
- Watched as it was installing, then had a disconnect, couldn't reconnect for a while, had to reset the connection configuration in azure and was able to reconnect.
- Upon login the installation window opened again and told me it was still doing something. After a few moments it completed with the statuss message "Successful".
- Installed the Licensing Server Role through the server manager, added my license through the server manager.
opened gpedit.msc and made the following changes to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop Session Host > Licensing :
"Use the specified Remote Desktop license servers" > Enabled
"Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode" > Enabled (per Device)
Also in gpedit.msc, only in the directory Remote Desktop Session Host > Connections :
Allow users to connect remotely by using RDS: Enabled
Limit Number of connections: Enabled, Max Connections = 999999
Restrict Remote Desktop Services users to a single RDS session = Disabled
Allowed remote start of unlisted programs: Enabled
Still, not working. Maybe the settings reset has something to do with it? Or maybe I'm missing something obvious? Never used or set-up RDS before, except to RDP into my VMs on Azure...
Checked the RDS Events Log, found a few error messages:
TB-TK-TERMINAL1 2056 Error Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-SessionBroker Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-SessionBroker/Operational 2/6/2018 10:53:33 AM
The Remote Desktop Connection Broker server could not enumerate the targets for the provider named NULL from the database.
Pooled virtual desktop collection name: NULL Error: Logon to the database failed.
I googled this message, but only got responses saying that my Domain is old. I created this domain specifically on/for a WinServer2016 so I doubt that this is the case.
TB-TK-TERMINAL1 1280 Warning Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-SessionBroker-Client Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-SessionBroker-Client/Operational 2/6/2018 10:55:01 AM
Remote Desktop Services failed to join the Connection Broker on server tb-tk-terminal1.domainname.local. Error: Current async message was dropped by async dispatcher, because there is a new message which will override the current one.