I have a remote system connected via WiFi to the network. The wifi connection is established correctly and I can ping the gateway. The maintainer of the gateway (3rd party, not accessible for me) confirms this. The device is connected, got an IP, firewall is not active for my MAC.
Yet I do not have internet connection. I tested it with
ping -I wlan0 220.127.116.11 and
curl --interface wlan0 -XGET http://example.org both resulting in timeouts.
I monitored the traffic on wlan0 with
tcpdump -i wlan0 and noticed, that up to 100% of the packages are dropped by interface. Clarification: I can see the packets in the tcpdump output, yet ping states 100% packet loss.
My two questions are: Is this the cause for my missing connection? And how can I fix this?
A firewall (iptables / ufw) is not active.
uname -a output is
Linux machine 3.10.104-126 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 29 22:24:16 UTC 2016 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux
My WiFi interface is a
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter with device ID
@Lenniey I'm not sure I follow. The connection to the network itself is successful (as I get an IP, DHCP configures gateway dns etc and I can ping the gateway successfully). My device is at 192.168.200.4 (wlan0) and 192.168.1.31 (eth0). I already did a traceroute, it looks like this:
root@device:~# traceroute -i wlan0 18.104.22.168 traceroute to 22.214.171.124 (126.96.36.199), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets 1 192.168.200.254 (192.168.200.254) 7.069 ms 6.961 ms 6.888 ms 2 *** 3 *** (this continues until traceroute gives up) 30 ***
My routing table is as follows:
root@device:~# route --verbose Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface default 192.168.1.254 0.0.0.0 UG 100 0 0 eth0 default 192.168.200.254 0.0.0.0 UG 600 0 0 wlan0 link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 1000 0 0 eth0 192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 100 0 0 eth0 192.168.200.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 600 0 0 wlan0
@Dennis Nolte I assumed the packages are dropped by the interface because tcpdump said so at after stopping the monitoring. The output was like (random numbers due to bad memory)
59 packages captured 59 packages received by filter 0 packages dropped by kernel 40 packages dropped by interface
The packages dropped by interface ranged between zero and all packages. Kernel never dropped packages in my tests. A wireshark screenshot is not possible as it is a device without a screen attached and I'm not even in the same country as the device. So all my attempts to fix the issue are made via SSH over LAN. But the LAN connection is only temporary for maintenance work, the prod connection will be WiFi.