Suddenly we got a problem on some windows pcs when accessing the dfs share. Before this the DFS access was working.
Some clients suddenly cannot access the dfs share like:
Error: The Network Path was not found
\\thedomain.local\dfs resolves, but doesn't work either
When it starts happening
It seems to happen on clients which were rebooted.
What happened before
An Exchange 2007 was uninstalled from one of the domain controllers.
- Server 2008 (10.15.24.9) (domain controller; formerly sbs2008)
- Server 2016 (10.15.24.8) (dfs server)
- Windows 10 / Windows 7 Clients
We already checked
- works on most pcs: \thedomain.local\dfs
- works on most pcs: \thedomain\dfs
- works: net view \\10.15.24.8
- works: nslookup thedomain.local
- works: Access via IP \\10.15.24.8\dfs
- fails: dfsdiag /testdfsconfig /dfsroot:\\thedomain.local\dfs
- result: RPC Server is unavailable
- works: dfsdiag /testdfsconfig /dfsroot:\\thedomain\dfs