I work at a very small company (8 people) and was given the task to add an HDD to our server to do incremental backups. We bought a new 8TB IronWolf HDD but after installation the server computer can only recognise about 1.3TB. I am not at all experienced with such systems, so I hope you guys can help.
The steps I took:
- Plugged in HDD into SATA slot 5. There are two main identical hard drives in RAID formation in slots 1 and 2.
- In Disc Manager I initialized the disc (in GPT format). At this step, the wizard told me the maximum partition size was about 1.3TB.
- Formatted the drive and assigned a Drive Letter.
I have found a few forums having the same kind of issue (1.3TB reading instead of 8TB). These concluded that:
- I should repartition the HDD. This will not work as the Disc Manager does not see 8TB.
- Update the Intel RST driver.
- Change the SATA cable to another SATA port.
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Mobo: Supermicro X9SCL
- BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. 2.0b, 9/17/2012
As this is the only server computer I want to limit the restarting of this PC (preferably not restarting at all).
- Could it be caused by an outdated BIOS?
- Could the existing RAID configuration interfere with this HDD?
- Could it be an issue with the HDD?
- Can updating the Intel RST driver interfere with the current RAID configuration?
I hope you guys can help! And thanks!