I see EC2 instances are fickle beasts in the forums, but here's my particular spin on the issue. This is my first time using AWS, and I have been following the tutorial (I think) up to the letter. However, every attempt I have tried to connect with the instance (ssh, http, ping, Java SSH client) have all failed.
- I assign a security group at launchtime with the following permissions: ssh from my ip, http and https from anywhere, and custom IMTP/Echo Request.
- The assigned IAM role gives full access to Kinesis and nothing else (not sure if that affects anything).
- It is an ubuntu t2.micro.
- It has been running for the past hour.
- The system log's latest line is '[ip-address] login: '.
Attempts thus far:
- A basic ssh, copied from the "connect" window and run in the same folder as my pem. Fails with a "Connection refused" error.
- Telnet. Also fails with a "Connection refused" error.
- Ping. Request times out.
- Java SSH client (run in Firefox). The 'Launch' button does nothing.
- Create an identical instance but with a new .pem file (in case there's something wrong with my original one). Doesn't fix anything.
I am suddenly, frustratingly, despairingly stuck. Any thoughts for what else I can try? Happy to provide any other details on this thing that would be helpful; I'm just not familiar enough with AWS to know if I'm leaving out something crucial. Thanks for your help!