- DC1- Windows 2008 R2 64bit , SP1 (version 6.1 build 7601) (VM)
- DC2- Windows 2016 Standard , 64bit , GUI (version 1607) (VM)
- DFL/FFL : Windows Server 2008 R2
- FRS in place (this is a single label domain domain which was migrated from W2000 to W2003 , then to W2008.R2 + W2016 . For some reason we dont want to change SLD to FQDN & want to keep it this way as long as possible)
Few days back I was trying to perform FRS to DFSR migration and the process got stuck in Dfsrmig /setglobalstate 2 stage (process hung) and things got messed up very quickly & in the end, I had to restore every thing from the system-state backup.
I want to demote 2008 base DC and introduce another W2016 base DC but I am reluctant to perform FRS to DFSR migration again dueto last horrible experience which screwed 3 days.
- If I demote DC1 (w2008) and add another 2016 base DC, then Can I run the FRS>DFSR migration (if both DC's are w2016) ?
- If I have single DC (example 2008r2 or 2016) , can I go with FRS > DFSR migration? because migration on single DC would be more easy? any advise in this regard?