I've set up Samba on Ubuntu use LDAP, but it insists on using the host name for the
sambaDomainName query, instead of the configured workgroup, and so it fails to get the domain info.
If I set
netbios name to the workgroup name, then it works, but then the server shows up on the network with the workgroup name instead of the host name, which is not what I want.
I can query LDAP using
ldapsearch with the right
sambaDomainName, so I'm pretty sure that part is good.
I'm using Samba 2:4.7.6+dfsg~ubuntu-0ubuntu2.2
[global] security = domain passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://ldap-server" workgroup = MYGROUP netbios name = HOSTNAME
I've tried with
server role = standalone but they make no difference. I don't have a Windows domain, just a workgroup and an LDAP server provided by JumpCloud (They have the Samba schema configured, and it works for all my other non-Samba LDAP clients).
Regardless of how I configure this I know I have other things to finish with the actual idmap setup, but AFAIK it won't make any difference unless it can properly query LDAP in the first place, thus the partial config above.