After an update to RabbitMQ 3.7.8 and Erlange 21.1 (centOS 6 server) netstat shows that beam.smp is listening on a random UDP port on all interfaces:
~$ sudo netstat -pnul | grep beam udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:45224 0.0.0.0:* 7320/beam.smp
That port is changing with every restart and is not closed when stopping the app but changes when starting it back:
~$ sudo rabbitmqctl stop_app Stopping rabbit application on node rabbit@host ... ~$ sudo netstat -pnul | grep beam udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:45224 0.0.0.0:* 7320/beam.smp ~$ sudo rabbitmqctl start_app Starting node rabbit@host ... completed with 7 plugins. ~$ sudo netstat -pnul | grep beam udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:51001 0.0.0.0:* 7320/beam.smp
- Disabling all plugins does not change this behaviour so I guess this is not plugin related.
- tcpdump does not show any activity on this port.
- I can't find any trace of this in the RabbitMQ's documentation.
- I can't find anything related to this on the Internet
- grepping the code of "rabbitmq-server" for "udp" does not give much info
The main question is what is this port used for? As a corollary, is it possible to configure this?