i have a Virtual Machine with Centos 7, on which i want to mount some ext4 partitions. Physical disks are actually hard disks provided by vSphere. All disks are located on the same NAS - so the three working ones (a,c,d) are virtually identical to the problematic ones (e,f,g)
content of fstab:
UUID=b6ebbca4-71d0-4d2e-bc1a-e465e5190698 /boot ext4 defaults 1 2 UUID=2c3ab9f5-60a6-4a79-ada3-84737eef7748 / ext4 defaults 1 1 UUID=e130758c-5108-44de-bbd8-7e003c9072bc swap swap defaults 0 0 UUID=decbbdb6-8362-41ef-aa72-83066c172913 /home ext4 defaults 1 2 UUID=5717b613-a9f4-43c9-95d2-cfbbb891bd19 /apps_home ext4 defaults 1 2 UUID=e24df090-2dda-404c-8944-a28bd37d6c5e /apps/var/progress ext4 defaults 1 2 UUID=5f254c77-a91d-4255-8315-9325ddb7a9d8 /apps/var/standard ext4 defaults 1 2 UUID=746c70c1-002a-4249-a06f-df393a99252c /apps/var/custom ext4 defaults 1 2
lsblk -o '+UUID,FSTYPE' output:
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT UUID FSTYPE sda 8:0 0 50G 0 disk ├─sda1 8:1 0 1G 0 part /boot b6ebbca4-71d0-4d2e-bc1a-e465e5190698 ext4 └─sda2 8:2 0 49G 0 part / 2c3ab9f5-60a6-4a79-ada3-84737eef7748 ext4 sdb 8:16 0 40G 0 disk └─sdb1 8:17 0 40G 0 part [SWAP] e130758c-5108-44de-bbd8-7e003c9072bc swap sdc 8:32 0 50G 0 disk └─sdc1 8:33 0 50G 0 part /home decbbdb6-8362-41ef-aa72-83066c172913 ext4 sdd 8:48 0 600G 0 disk └─sdd1 8:49 0 600G 0 part /apps_home 5717b613-a9f4-43c9-95d2-cfbbb891bd19 ext4 sde 8:64 0 250G 0 disk └─sde1 8:65 0 250G 0 part /apps/var/progress e24df090-2dda-404c-8944-a28bd37d6c5e ext4 sdf 8:80 0 1T 0 disk └─sdf1 8:81 0 1024G 0 part /apps/var/standard 5f254c77-a91d-4255-8315-9325ddb7a9d8 ext4 sdg 8:96 0 2T 0 disk └─sdg1 8:97 0 2T 0 part /apps/var/custom 746c70c1-002a-4249-a06f-df393a99252c ext4 sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
The issue is that fstab is not mounting the three last partitions (that are supposed to be mounted under
/apps/var/custom respectively) consistently after reboots. It does mount one of them from time to time (it is totally random if any of these three is mounted, and it is always only one or none that is being mounted). The other partitions are being mounted consistently without any issues.
The mount -a option is not doing anything, however $mount /dev/sde1 (or dev/sdf1 or dev/sdg1) work like a charm. Similarly, mounting by using the command $mount /apps/var/progress works without any issues as too.
For now i just used cron to mount these three partitions after every reboot but in the long run i would like to know the root cause for this strange behaviour.
I tried replacing the UUID's with /dev/sd* names, i tried putting quotation marks.
mount always shows that the partitions are mounted on right catalogues, however umount reports that the partition is not mounted at the moment.
I noticed that the three problematic partitions had ext3 filesystems previously, and were somehow converted into ext4. Also, for these three partitions blkid shows the PARTUUID in addition to UUID (i think they were previously used with centos 6)