I am trying to turn a .bak file into a database. I can't find the "Restore Database" button when I left-click "databases" when connected. This is what I should see. However, this is what I see.

I have been using this tutorial to try to restore a database from a .bak file. I placed the .bak file (named WideWorldImporters-Standard) in the SQL Server Management Studio folder. Here's the picture.

Things I've tried:

  • Restarting the Server Management Studio
  • Restarting my computer
  • Looking for updates on Server Management Studio
  • Looking for updates on my computer
  • Copying the .bak file to other folders and trying to open it as a file
  • Looking for anything weird going on with azure

I suspect that the problem might be that I am not connecting to the right database. The program seems to be logging into my azure account just fine, but I am not finding any of my existing servers to hook into.

migrated from superuser.com Jan 4 at 22:26

This question came from our site for computer enthusiasts and power users.

  • Backup/Restore commands are not available in SSMS in Azure SQL. – joeqwerty Jan 4 at 22:43

You can restore the database using the backup file using T-SQL:

    FROM DISK = N'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup\AdventureWorks2017.bak' ;  

--Restore database from backup

RESTORE DATABASE [AdventureWorks2017]
            FROM DISK = N'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup\AdventureWorks2017.bak'
            WITH  FILE = 1,  
                  MOVE N'AdventureWorks2017'           TO N'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\AdventureWorks2017.mdf',  
                  MOVE N'AdventureWorks2017_log'       TO N'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log\AdventureWorks2017_log.ldf',  
                STATS = 20

Change the folder path and filenames as per your environment. If you get an error of "Permission denied" while executing the code move the .bak file to the default backup directory for the instance. The RESTORE FILELISTONLY is to check the logical names for the database files.


I figured out a way around my problem. Apparently, my .bak file was corrupt. I got it from multiple places and still got the same problem. (Don't know how or why)

I then downloaded the .bacpac file for the same database, and then used SQLBackupAndFTP to put the file onto my Azure server as a database. I can now access it with Microsoft SQL Management Studio and LINQPad 5. I can play around with SQL commands on the Db just fine now. I don't know if Visual Studio can access it, but I am optimistic.

  • It doesn't seem like the issue you posted on your question has something to do with the workaround you figured out. – Humberto Castellon Jan 5 at 23:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy