We have two offices of similar size, with a single server at each. Currently users at office #2 manually VPN directly to Office #1 to access resources.
I want to replace the individual VPNs with a persistent site-to-site VPN between the two firewalls/routers, and set up domain replication between the two servers.
Here's where I am at a loss: both servers are Forest Root Domains with the same name "company.local". I've only found this thread: Active Directory - forest trust between forests with same name? - which does not have any conversation about what to do in that situation.
My goal is to have a single forest with a single domain with two sites, connected via the site-to-site VPN. Ideally I would change the domain name to "corp.company.com" from "company.local" as well, but I think that will be even harder.
Here's a breakdown of the two servers:
Office #1 running Windows Server 2016 Standard with roles:
- ADDS (Forest Root Domain : company.local) / ADCS / DNS / DHCP / File & Storage (all of our network folders) / IIS / NPAS / Print Services / Remote Access / Remote Desktop Services
Office #2 running Windows Server 2016 Essentials with roles:
- ADDS (Forest Root Domain : company.local) / ADCS / DNS / DHCP / File & Storage (only system folders) / IIS / IPAM / Remote Access
Both Active Directories have separate users/groups set up - users have the same domain\login\password on both.
My plan is currently this:
- Get the site-to-site VPN working, at which point I'm not sure what issues that will cause between the two DCs, if any.
- Turn on DHCP on the router
- Uninstall ADDS/DNS from Office #2 server
- Join Office #2 server to Office #1's domain
- Install ADDS/DNS on Office #2 server, adding as a DC in the domain in a second site
- Turn off DHCP on the router, re-enable on Office #2
- Point the two DC's to replicate from one another
- Is this plan feasible?
- Am I missing important steps?
- Will there be issues with my user profiles at site #2?
- Should I even attempt to change the domain from company.local to corp.company.com?
Thank you for reading. Any thoughts or direction on this will be greatly appreciated!