A Debian Stable (5.0.3) server is running
ntpd, and connected to the internet. Still, the system clock is about 5 minutes wrong.
$ /etc/init.d/ntp status NTP server is running..
Relevant parts (I think) of
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable server 0.europe.pool.ntp.org server 1.europe.pool.ntp.org server 2.europe.pool.ntp.org server 3.europe.pool.ntp.org
I know NTP doesn't necessarily bring the clock in time immediately. Still, how many hours or days you need to wait in order to reasonably expect that NTP has done its job and synced the clock?
Am I missing some other configuration file or option, or just doing something wrong? Is ntp (instead of e.g. ntpdate) the right tool for this? Is there any quick way to check if configuration is correct and whether the chosen NTP servers return the correct time?
Edit: output of
ntpq -p is:
remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter ============================================================================== ns1.nexellent.n .INIT. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000 dnscache-madrid .INIT. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000 sinister.wzw.tu .INIT. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000 dnscache-frankf .INIT. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000
Edit 2: Turns out
ntpdate -u 0.europe.pool.ntp.org command (suggested by brent) returns
17 Dec 17:37:29 ntpdate: no server suitable for synchronization found
...even though on other machines that command works fine. So we'll be looking at network/firewall settings for this particular server (which is in a different network, accessed over VPN).
Resolution: The culprit wasn't local firewall on our server, but firewall settings somewhere in the surrounding network. So we asked the server hosting provider to allow NTP for our machines, and now it works fine. For example,
ntpq -p now returns:
remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter ============================================================================== ns1.eunet.fi 22.214.171.124 2 u 10 64 1 1.043 0.258 0.001 ns2.eunet.fi 126.96.36.199 2 u 9 64 1 0.671 0.135 0.001 ns3.eunet.fi 188.8.131.52 2 u 8 64 1 0.750 0.277 0.001
(We also switched to eunet.fi servers recommenced by the hosting company, but that is beside the point.) The commands in brent's answer were helpful because they made me realise the problem was in network access to the NTP servers, not in NTP configuration itself. Thanks everyone!