I am currently dealing with a site which has about 40 users, each with his/her own local Outlook setup on their PCs (currently connecting via POP/IMAP to the mail server).
They have asked me to migrate all users to a cloud hosted Exchange service.
I know how to manually export their local data into a PST, then re-import it into each Exchange account, but this will be a hugely time-consuming process. Is there any way to automate this, even to the point where each user can do his/her own migration by simply clicking a few buttons or running a script?
After I manually create the users in the hosted Exchange environment, the steps that need to happen for each user are:
- Open Outlook and do a full export to PST file of all existing email/contacts/calendars/notes/etc.
- Close Outlook, go to "Mail" in Control Panel and create new profile.
- Connect the new profile to the Exchange server using the user's credentials
- Launch Outlook using the new profile and import the previous PST file, then wait for it to sync with the server.
- (Optional) I suppose it would be nice if the autocomplete entries were preserved as well.
I'm wondering if PowerShell can reach this level of integration with Outlook.
I would be very grateful for suggestions on how to accomplish this, whether it's a script, an application, batch file, etc. Surely this is a somewhat common issue, so I'd think there would be a fairly simple solution.