- I am currently running two identical servers with same harddisks.
- Both have a zfs pool on sda and sdb (raidz) named /pool
- both run ubuntu linux server
- Both supposed to operate on vanilla toolset (no fancy 3rd party backup packages).
I now struggle to find a clear step-by-step straight forward how to for creating an automatic backup from main to backup.
Everything I have found was either old (2010-2016) so I am unsure if they are still up to date and/or are just explaining certain details and not the whole process or they discuss additional tools, wrappers, scripts not the process itself using default zfs toolset.
- What is the best practice here?
- Am I running a cron job for this or can zfs do the backup automatically?
- Transfer via ssh or rsync?
- zfs send piped into ssh/rsync?
I want to run it on a local network, but just in case I'd think about up-scaling to an off-location, could I do the same best practice over the internet from one dedicated server housing provider to the other or would this need a total different approach?
Say I'd come down and connect both servers locally directly via dedicated interface without going over the LAN, I'd be fine with using unencrypted data transfer without ssh to reduce encryption overhead. What would be the best utility for that?