So I am noticing my windows KVM guests (managed by proxmox) are showing extremely high CPU usage when doing really simple things like watching a video on youtube. For example a 4 core KVM instance will go up to about 75% CPU usage when watching a single video via Google chrome at 480p. 1080p maxes out the CPU. How is it possible that I cannot watch a 1080p video? Here is my host CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2697 v2 @ 2.70GHz. I also noticed the host has the following integrated GPU: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200eW WPCM450 (rev 0a). Here is what I have tried:
- Different browsers like Opera and Firefox do offer slightly lower CPU numbers but again too high to be acceptable.
- Enabling and disabling hardware acceleration in Google Chrome settings does nothing.
- Setting CPU type to host does not help
- Setting Display to VirtIO-GPU does nothing
- Setting Display to SPICE and installing spice-guest-tools does nothing
Any help would be so greatly appreciated!